The Best Ital Stew Ever
This ital stew recipe is one of my favorite vegan dinner recipes.
I was first introduced to it by my long time friend Ted. I really learned a lot from him. He thought me how to use natural herbs and spices to bring out all the flavor in whatever I could. For that, I’m forever grateful. But even though I was learning a new style of cooking I still preferred to let my friend handle all our meal preparations. And so I found myself at his house every evening chatting up about life and digging down into some vegetable stew. I can’t forget those good old days (good times).
Please do consider this as a gift from me and Ted to you… ENJOY.
P.s. Ital is derived from the word vital. It can mean natural, organic or salt-less. It originated in Jamaica among Rastafarians and has become a popular term throughout the island. There are many different ital dishes but they all follow one simple principle, no animals must suffer for a plate of food. 🙂
Ital Stew Recipe
- Chop all seasoning finely, do the same to pak choy and callaloo.
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan until hot
- Sauté all seasoning in oil (hmmm can you smell that?)
- Next, add coconut milk and allow to boil.
- Lower flame and add carrots and pumpkins (important not to over cook)
- Add the string beans, split pea, and lentil followed by okra, callaloo, and pak choy.
- Now add some salt and pepper to your liking.
- Mix all ingredients together until cooked.
That’s it!! You’re done….. Wow, I’m sure you can’t wait to dig in. By the way, this recipe will serve for about six and should be served hot. This will go well with some boiled bananas, yam and breadfruit.
OH by the way, please check out this website if you are interested in learning other “ital” recipes or just more about an ital lifestyle in general.