This vegan tomato soup is nutrient dense and may be just what you need to take on the upcoming cold season.
I was only a mere child when I first heard about the incredible antioxidizing properties of tomatoes, that’s what got me into eating them just like any other fruits. I wasn’t so used to the taste back then but I’ve grown to like (crave) the taste of this soft, juicy, red fruit. Forward a few years later and I’m still chowing down on them but honestly, other than just sinking my teeth into this fruity goodness, I had no idea what else I could do with tomatoes. So as you could imagine, it was an absolute delight when my friend (Ted) sent me this recipe.
It’s so shockingly good (and easy to make) that I just couldn’t wait to share it with you all. I also was hyped up about tomatoes all over again so I began pondering on other recipes that I could add them into. In the end, I discovered quite a few good ideas (I will be sure to share with you later), some not so good ones and a wide range of health benefits of tomatoes.
It’s remarkable how rich tomatoes are in nutrients. Other than their high anti-oxidant content tomatoes are loaded with: Vitamins A, C, B1, B3, B6, E and vitamin K, Protein, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, zinc, phosphorous and the list goes on, really it does.
I know what you’re thinking, that’s a lot of nutrients. And it comes with a wide range of health benefits as well. You name it, the benefits of tomatoes range from bone health to cardiovascular and skin health. That said, I know everyone can benefit from this vegan tomato soup, not just those who hope to fight off the cold… Speaking of soup, here’s the recipe:
Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
NOTE: The first thing that has to be done to get this soup going is to soak the broad beans over night in some fresh/clean water. Once that is done we can get started.
- 12 Plum tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Broad Beans
- 4 diced Carrots
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1cup diced Pumpkin
- 1 stalks Escallion
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Onion
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small diced coco
- 1 small diced sweet Potato
- 1 small diced Irish potato
- Firstly, add water to a pot and cook the broad beans until they are tender.
- Next, we will blend all the tomatoes together along with half of an onion in a blender.
- Then sauté the remaining onion, ½ cup of pumpkin, scotch bonnet pepper and ½ cup of carrots in a saucepan. I really love the smell of seasoning sautéing.
- Pour the coconut milk into the saucepan and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the tomato mixture to the saucepan and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the cooked broad beans while stirring.
- Next add the remaining pumpkin, the Irish and sweet potato and finally the cocoa.
- Allow everything to simmer now for 10-15 minutes.
Dinner for 6 is now ready, serve hot….
Yum, delicious. Soups help us to stay fuller for longer and help to reduce a lot of the work our bodies have to do to break down the nutrients in out foods. I highly recommend this vegan tomato soup recipe for everyone.