Do you love cakes and crave chocolate? Then this easy vegan chocolate cake recipe is just what you are looking for. It’s economical and ready in no time at all. Before I found this recipe I used to stay away from cakes because of a most regrettable experience.
I was over at my friend’s house just having a good time as usual when they brought out some cake to where I was. Oh my, it was chocolate… delicious. I was first in line and as soon as I got my slice I devoured it…. in one go!!! After that, we were all talking about the cake when I heard the mention of eggs. Oh gosh, no, I hadn’t realized that eggs were the main raising agent in cakes back then, I was new at this began life. This was very saddening and gross to me. So gross that I ran to the bathroom trying to spit it out (way too late for that) but all I could think of was those little chicken babies that perished for a single piece of cake.
After that I stayed away from all baked foods and never forgot to check the ingredients in anything I considered to eat, which led me to figure out that chocolate products usually came with cow’s milk (sigh), now I had to avoid chocolate as well. I thought I had to give up two of my favorite dessert treats for good but thankfully I came across a few recipes like this easy vegan chocolate cake recipe I’m about to share with you. Now I can enjoy some chocolate and yummy cake guilt free once again.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt (dry ingredients).
- In a second bowl, mix together the coffee, vanilla extract and coconut oil (wet ingredients) together.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Add the Vinegar to the batter then mix swiftly until the vinegar is well mixed in.
- Pour the batter into a 8-inch square baking pan.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Additional Chocolate glaze
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 4 tablespoons soya milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Bring the margarine, soya milk, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil in a small pan while stirring continuously.
- On a low flame, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, remember to stir continuously.
- Turn off the flame and continue to stir for a further five minutes until the glaze begins to thicken.
- Mix in the vanilla now and pour over the cake right away.
- Spread the glaze all over the cake before it thickens (it does so quickly).
- Allow cooling.
Note: You can know when the cake is ready by using a tester like a toothpick. Stick it into the center of the cake and when you can pull it out and it’s all clean the cake is ready. This usually takes between 25-35 minutes.
Inspired by cookieandkate.
That’s it, all done. This easy vegan chocolate cake recipe takes about 45 minutes to be ready and the glaze is about 15 minutes. So what do you think? Real simple huh? I think so too. It was really a big thing for my family and I’m glad that I can enjoy some of my favorite treats again vegan style.